The “Choose Love” initiative is a fundraising effort by Help Refugees, a British charity.
Help Refugees aims to “provide aid to meet the basic human needs of refugees”. This charity helps vulnerable people by supporting local groups, charities, and volunteers who are helping out on the ground. The aid goes to refugee support in Greece, Calais, Macedonia, and Serbia. Among other things, they send volunteers, necessities, and assist medics to travel to these places. They also built 130 shelters in the refugee camp in Calais.
Katharine Hamnett, a English fashion designer best known for her political t-shirts and ethical business philosophy, has donated her slogan “Choose Love” to Help Refugees, a play on her iconic “Choose Life” t-shirt from the 80’s.
The “Choose Love” t-shirts are made from 100% organic cotton made in an ethically accredited wind-powered factory with low carbon emissions, and is hand-finished in the UK. On the product page you can click on the word “trace” which will then show you exactly where your product came from, from where the cotton was picked, to its exact shipping route to the UK. (Some routes even include camel transport!)
CHOOSE LOVE is central for how we should be dealing with this humanitarian crisis. We are all children of migrants and refugees. Civilisations fall apart when we stop caring for our fellow men. – Hamnett
Money raised from the sale of these t-shirts will go towards their continued commitment to Help Refugees. On their website it says that they aim to:
- “Continue to respond rapidly and flexibly to the refugee crisis, and send aid and other assistance to those in need across Europe
- Continue to support other small charities, grassroots groups and individual volunteers on the ground in places such as Idomeni, Kos, Lesvos and Presevo
- Build shelters for 3,000 men, women and children in the Calais refugee camps facing a cold winter ahead [presumably to be repeated in the autumn]
- Continue to send aid to the Calais refugee camp, prioritising food, warm clothes and firewood
- Contribute to support French charity L’Auberge des Migrants in Calais, and help with the day to day running of operations including aid giving, health and sanitation, support for the long term volunteers, running the warehouse, hiring vans for distribution of aid
- Continue to support smaller initiatives and outreach programmes in Calais and beyond.”
Bag: Balenciaga | Sunglasses: X Ray
For more information on the Help Refugees efforts visit their website here.
Choose Love and support this cause. As human beings we are all in this together. It seems very easy for many people who live in privileged circumstances to turn a blind eye to things which they feel do not directly impact their lives and to develop a philosophy of “my life is all about me and the day I will become successful/rich/famous/satisfied”. But I don’t believe in that, for what impacts you impacts me. We, fellow human beings, should be able to relate to each other and not stand by in silence when others are suffering. We need to treat one another with compassion and dignity, no matter our differences.
And let’s face it, if we continue living unsustainably and destroy this planet, we will all, literally, be in this together.